Byron Baptist began worshiping in a brush arbor. Listed as a member of Rehoboth Baptist Association in 1845, they moved to a log building west of town on Moseley Road. The land was given by Joseph Harper and the building constructed by Harper, Ebeneezer Jackson and Mr. Leaptrot. Named Friendship Church, it also served as a school house. It’s first pastor was Rev. C. Purifoy.
Byron Baptist (Friendship) Church was moved into Byron during 1880 and located on Academy Street between the school and city cemetery. The land was purchased from T. D. Warren for $32.75. The membership in 1887 was 46 members. In 1950, the sanctuary was remodeled and twelve Sunday School rooms added.
Twelve acres of land on White Road were purchased and in 1974 a new sanctuary, twelve Sunday School rooms, and a fellowship hall erected. A Christian Life Center was added in 1983. Under the leadership of Pastor Dr. Lawrence Kirk, Sr., construction began March, 2004, to build a new 500-seat sanctuary, a day care center for 96-children, and a new fellowship hall. The congregation moved in the building February 27, 2005, and the building was dedicated May 15, 2005.